Workshop Design Competition:
Design a dream shop for teaching – $500 in prize money and more!
Our woodworking friend and author Josh Brower is creating a woodworking experience center near Houston, Texas, USA where he will host woodworking events and classes. For this project he wants to build a dream workshop for experts in their woodworking field to teach enthusiastic woodworkers wanting to learn. To this end he is offering prize money to all you Woodworkers Institute and GMC Publications wood working magazine readers to involve you in the design of this dream workshop. Take this opportunity to break out your design skills and help Josh to create his dream teaching workshop, and win some cash too!
* $250 for first place
* $150 for second place
* $100 for third place
* $10 each for the 10 chosen for Honorable mentions.
All Winners Will also Receive:
* A free woodworking class at the shop when it opens for all prize winners, including the honorable mention winners.
* For the grand opening, prize winners will be invited to meet the staff of GMC and the Woodworkers Institute on site for a Texas size BBQ.
* Building will be 50 x 100ft (15.2 x 30.4m).
* Building will have a concrete slab foundation.
* Building must accommodate 6 teaching workbenches.
* Building must accommodate significant wood storage to allow individuals to pick out single pieces.
* Building can not have taller than 16ft (4.8m) sidewalls.
* Building must have a bench room, and a tool room for breaking down lumber.
* Building must be designed for both 3 phase (larger machines) and single phase machines, and include in the diagram where the outlets would be and to include what kind.
* Building located in the climate near Houston Texas.
* Include an office and bathroom area
Considerations for Designs:
* Hand drawn prints on plain paper or drawings to scale on graph paper are considered and must be scanned or photographed clearly then submitted using the upload system below.
* Alternatively, computer generated drawing files should be exported and submitted using the upload system below.
* Designs should be detailed for both space and usage, and scale machinery should be included in the drawing.
* Dust Collection must be included in the design with details on ductwork and machines connected.
* The more detail the better for the best chance of winning
* Drawings must be submitted by May 31st 2024 to be considered.
* Digital uploads required format: .jpg, .jpeg, .pdf, .heic, .png, .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx.
* Competition open to all countries, please select your country in the address field
* Winner chosen within 2 weeks of competition closing.
Workshop Design Competition
By submitting an entry for this competition you automatically agree to your drawing and all accompanying info, apart from contact details, to be used and published by GMC Publications and GMC Publications approved persons and entities.
Info and competition supplied by Josh Brower.
Prizes do not include travel and accommodation expenses.